Sunday, March 21, 2010

The bedtime routine.

Colin has been on a great little bedtime routine for a while now. It's pretty standard...we play after dinner, then go upstairs for a bath (every other night), brush our teeth, get jammies on, read books, have a bottle and say prayers. Then it's off to dreamland.

I'm blogging about the "reading books" part of our routine. At some point, Colin has decided that we read from six of his bedtime books. And only these six. If any books are added to this bedtime-book-rotation, he won't let me read them. I know this because I went out and bought a few new ones, or tried to add ones that he already has (just because I thought maybe he would appreciate a little variety) and he literally pushes them away.

So, his cherished bedtime books sit in a pile by the rocking chair, just waiting to be read every night. I can recite them totally by heart. I can predict what parts make him smile, and what parts he will point to. Frankly I'm a tad sick of reading the same six books, but if this is the perfect ending to his little day, then it's mine too.

8 comments:

Tracy Fan said...

ahh thanks mom!

The Flanigan Family said...

two of those are in our routine too!

Nicole said...

Flani...if I am correct, and one of those in your rotation is "The Going to Bed Book", remember that I sent it to you! So when you are reading it for the zillionth time, you can think of me :)

Kara said...

I can totally recite a few of those too....Good night moon is one of my favorites. We always add a few items to say good night too! Keep reading to him girl!!

Margaret said...

The simple joys of life. May Colin always feel as loved and secure as he does now.

Anonymous said...

Nicole, do you remember hearing the stories about books & your bedtime routine? Sound familiar? Colin looks like you did in the picture on the couch at home surrounded by your favoiite books. He is so sweet & very serious. Love Mom

Pat said...

You are such a good mommy! He looks very happy and content!

Auntie Carol said...

The sun has set not long ago,
now everybody goes below,
to take a bath in one big tub....

To my extreme delight I see "The Going to Bed Book"!!!!!

Yes, us too many times!