Sunday, June 7, 2009

A good time had by all...

Yesterday was a great day! We went for long a walk around the neighborhood, and then drove to Raleigh to try out a new BBQ restaurant. Exciting, huh?...I know, I don't get out much.

Anyways, Kevin and I have been searching for good BBQ since we moved to North Carolina. So far we've tried 2 places- one is OK, the other, not so much. I recorded an episode of "Man vs. Food" for Kevin the other day that was filmed in North Carolina. The host of the show was at a restaurant in downtown Raleigh called The Pit. To me, this definitely didn't sound too appealing, but Kevin was all about it. So, we made the hour trek to Raleigh to try it out.

This was not your typical plastic ware, paper napkin, hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint. It was pretty hip and slightly upscale. I was impressed, but skeptical. This was not what we were used to. Then I saw that there was a 45 minute wait so I figured it had to be good! So while we waited, we walked around and sat in a pretty park up the street.
Patiently waiting for the grub...


When we got seated, everything on the menu looked SO good. We decided to go big. I ordered the double combo platter, but didn't get the usual BBQ fare. I went soul food style and ordered fried chicken, meatloaf, collard greens and mac and cheese. Hey, I'm in the south, right? Kevin ordered the triple platter and got the usual- beef brisket, pulled pork, Carolina style ribs, fried okra and potato salad. It was ALL delish...pricey, but delish.

So all in all, it was a great day. We got fresh air, a little exercise, and at the end of the day our bellies were full. Colin was a good boy too.

If you are ever in Raleigh, go to The Pit! I should get paid for this.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Time to fess up...!!!!I also cannot stand, I dislike , well cats are not my fav.
Goodness, Colin is soooo handsome!

The Flanigan Family said...

Smithfields...fast and cheap!! If you can make it to wilmington jacksons. Seriously, the only good bbq is Carolina bbq...that other stuff is just gross aka Texas joints.

Anonymous said...

OK you don't like cats, got it.DAD