Sunday, July 19, 2009

Life Lessons on Raising a Boy

To start getting Colin used to his crib, my Mom suggested that I should put him in there from time to time so he can check it out while I stay in the room and fold laundry or something. One day, I decided to look through a book that is on his dresser. It is called Father to Son: Life Lessons on Raising a Boy. It was given to Kevin for Father's Day from his Mom. It is SO cute. It basically consists of little lighthearted and seroius wisdoms for fathers on raising their sons, and all are so true. Some made me laugh, and some made me get teary-eyed! Here are some of my favorites:

*Be his Hero.
*Read to him nightly. He'll love it.
*Show him how to throw a punch. Then raise him to never start a fight. And teach him to walk away.
*If you buy him Superman pajamas, count on him launching himself off counters, chairs, beds-and sometimes onto you.
*Race him. You will never forget the day he beats you.
*Teach him every life is precious.
*Ask him what he did today. Listen.
*Tell him sometimes you are wrong.
*Don't tolerate temper tantrums. Not now. Not when he's 15. The world won't.
*Teach him that God answers every prayer. Sometimes with a no.
*Insist he plays outside a lot. It's much healthier than watching TV or playing computer games. And let him get dirty.
*Don't let him quit out of frustration. He'll never learn.
*Take him for doughnuts Saturday morning. Let his mom sleep late.
*Try not to miss his games. A boy loves playing in front of his Dad and hearing him cheer. He'll always ask "Did you see me?"
*Teach him how to lose. And teach him how to win.
*Teach him if he wants something bad enough, that is a reason to go to work.
*When you drive him on dates, make sure he gets out of the car to get his girlfriend. You'd be amazed how many boys still think they can just honk and she'll come running.
*Never criticize his mother in front of him. Never.
*Teach him how to look someone on the eye and shake hands firmly. And stand up straight.
*Let him face consequences of his own actions. They are the best teachers.
*Condition his use of the car upon his grades. He'll become an Einstein.
*Believe in him


5 comments:

carrie said...

Sooo cute Nicole. I love the one about "Take him for doughnuts and let mom sleep in." I think I need to pass that little kernel on. That picture is adorable. Now get Kevin to take a picture of you and post it, mmmmkay?!

Pat said...

Okay now you got me crying...
You guys are the best and I love you three!
I love your "fodder"!

Kara said...

love it!! The pic is adorable!! I second the Sat morning one too. Let me know the dates you are in town so I can plan a trip too.

Bridge said...

You have so much to look forward to! Give Colin a squeeze for his aunt!

Joe said...

I agree with Bridge, you both are in for some very special times.Dad