I sent an e-mail out to some of my family and friends asking for their opinions on what I should do about this. One response was from my Aunt Kim. She said, "we all know the benifits of a good KIKI." This made me laugh.
You see, KIKI (pronounced key-key) was my cousin Ellyn's most favorite thing in the world. It was a small soft Peter Rabbit stuffed animal that she would use to soothe her. She would stroke his little ears against her face and suck on her fingers...and this seemed to do the trick for her.
Then this got me thinking. My brother Chris had something too...his "Mickey". This was the Mickey Mouse blanket that came with his crib bedding set. He loved this thing. Sometimes he would want a "cold Mickey" to go to bed with, which would require one of us to pop it in the freezer for a few minutes to get it to the desired temperature. Hey, whatever worked!
And then there was my cousin Emily's "Jennica". I think Emily named her this because it was a combo of the names Jennifer and Jessica. Creative, huh? Jennica was a soft pink baby doll that Emily loved to carry around. No offense to Emily, but this thing got pretty dirty and discusting...but she loved her just the same.
SO anyways, I remembered that before he was born I bought Colin something called a Taggies Dog Sleepy Fleece. And taking my Aunt Kim's advice, I have been randomly putting it next to Colin to slowly introduce it to him. I know he is way too little to actually understand that this thing might be able to soothe him one day, but hopefully someday he will reach for it in a time of need instead of crying out for his pacifier. This evening while napping on the couch (and yes, I was sitting right next to him to make sure he wouldn't roll off the couch or suffocate) he grabbed for it. I don't know if this was just pure coincidence since it was lying right next to him, but he has been sleeping soundly ever since.
DISCLAIMER: I apologize in advance to Ellyn, Chris, and Emily for blogging about this. All three of them are now happy, smart and well-adjusted young people. AND to the best of my knowledge, none of them require these things anymore to go to sleep. I especially hope that Chris and Ellyn don't, since they are now 19 and 18, respectively. Haha. Love you all!

5 comments:
Okay your stories that you shared are priceless, however this picture of Colin is pure sweet love in a bundle( by his"Bill")!
OH the beloved blankie! We have "Froggie" for Kylie and he has been loved!! Unfortunately, she found her thumb along with froggie and have yet to take it out! Whatever works mama!! You are doing a GREAT job and it is so awesome to celebrate motherhood with you!!
Just hit the kid over the head with a frying pan . He'll sleep through the night.
Oh Nicole, that is such a sweet photo of him! He looks like a little cherub. Look at those chubby, round, healthy cheeks! Thanks for posting so those of us who are far away can stay connected!
Billie Willie!!!!! Adorable picture.
Jennica is still on Emily's bed. We can show you to her when you get here. Grampa said something like if you put her under a microscope, she'd be crawling away. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! But Emily STILL loves and is very protective of her.
P.S. I was trying to think of the funny stuff Grampa says...he called Neosporin "Neosporim" the other day...despite the fact that I corrected him, oh, about ten times.
Post a Comment